Monday, March 5, 2012

Think Alouds

Be sure to read the inserts in Chapter 7. The inserts for English Language Learners are great tips to have in the back of your mind for helping students learn to read. Smaller group talks for ELL's is easier on their nerves when it comes to think-alouds. I would like if we practiced a think aloud in class. There are also good inserts about how to best facilitate a think aloud. I might be the first to say this, but I just do not like KWL charts... I have never personally found them to be helpful. Dr. B even said that in her classes, they rarely went back and filled the L part at the end. I do like story maps though. I will use KWL charts in my classes for those kids that may benefit from them though.

3 comments:

  1. I always skipped the L on KWL. Or I just filled it out ahead of time with fake information so it would be done. I don't think they're the best tools for learning with students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I NEVER liked KWL charts. Whenever teachers would break out those worksheets I always dreaded them. I don't find them helpful at all. I see it more a busy work, BUT I could find it helpful for teachers in figuring out our prior knowledge about a certain subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay I'm not alone! I was not a fan of KWL charts either. I could never think of facts I wanted to know; I would always go back to the facts I did now. If a teacher wants to know what the students know, a simple preassessment questionnaire would be fine! And to gauge what they learned? Thats what formal and informal assessments are for

    ReplyDelete