Monday, February 13, 2012

Reading fluency

The three dimensions of reading fluency are sounding out, minimal effort decoding and parse text syntactically. I am most interested in minimal effort decoding. I think it is such an important skill to be able to teach. I think it's also important for teachers to be able to tell the difference in reading fast or comprehending.

One thing I'm going to implement in my classes will be providing articles that have easier reading. Articles like these are important for repetition of known words. The more a child is interested in a subject, the better they'll be able to read the content. This is a great way to get less skilled readers opportunity to practice lower level reading. Reading a passage like the beginning of chapter four really was difficult for me. Being able to parse reading is a skill that every reader is capable of! Scaffolding would work for reading skills and comprehension.

I love readers theatre in a classroom. While I was in grade school I could volunteer for a part to read that I felt comfortable with. I think that being comfortable while reading aloud can make a big difference.

Also, I will build a word wall with my students. I wrote a blog before asking about having a word wall, I never thought that I should make it with the kids. That would help them be an active part in decorating the classroom. I find that when kids feel
They're doing something important, they pay better attention. That's a tip for kids with ADHD, give them an "important job" in your classroom.

3 comments:

  1. I think the idea of providing students with easy reading material is a really good one. Reading can become a very daunting task when you never get to read anything you are interested in or when the material is always dense. Not only would it be good to help practice words they are familiar with, it can put some of the fun back into reading as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Word walls are such a great way to get your children involved in reading. It helps them become confident about the new words they are reading, and it motivates them to look for new words to add to the wall. I love this idea, and I will have one of these in my classroom as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how one of the articles mentioned having every day reading materials such as brochures, menus, magazines, etc in addition to leveled books. There are only so many times that some students can read the same books and still be engaged...it defintely seems like a good idea to mix it up and have variety.

    ReplyDelete