Monday, February 20, 2012

Phonetics Ch 5

I love that phonetics in the classroom has evolved to be fun and engaging activities. The poems, and singing is a good way to get children to speak correctly without having to drill them with lecture. I always enjoyed getting the blocks out and clapping syllables. I will be sure to do this with students in my classes. I liked the kids holding up pictures with the number of syllables in their names. The addition of books to enhance phonetics only seems logical to me. Reading aloud and being coached through learning pronunciation of an unfamiliar word is the best way to practice. The teachers in the "Sound it out" article helped to find root words and stems. This is how I find myself learning words I read today that I have never seen before.
I like the "guess the covered word" activity. I feel that this enhances not only the blend sounds, but context clue reading.

Things to consider:
Are you comfortable singing in front of your classroom? What kinds of songs would be helpful?
What are good questions to help facilitate children reading a word, rather than just telling them to sound it out?

3 comments:

  1. I, too, really like the idea of using songs in the classroom. Kids love music, and anytime you can incorporate songs into the curriculum, I say go for it! Even if you don't have the voice to win American Idol, you can still sing to your children. They will probably be singing off key too, so I say don't even worry about it.
    I remember there being specific songs to help me learn my times tables, and I am sure there are songs out there to help kids rhyme words and remember their phonemes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought I would be comfortable singing in front of a large group of people. My aunt was a teacher and growing up she was always singing cute little songs. Now that I am a future teacher I have definitely seen the importance of being an animated and engaging person for my future students. I am definitely more than willing to take one for the team if that means my students will be happy and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely be comfortable singing in front of my students but not in front of other teachers. You can ask the students to find words within a big word, I think that was a really good strategy from the readings.

    ReplyDelete